Friday, June 10, 2011

Whole grain pancakes

One thing about me is that  I am always up for trying something new. Especially if I know its good for me and my body. One thing that I never got a chance to experiment in my kitchen until now, is whole wheat flour. It's so much better for you, fills you up faster, and it's so easy to substitute regular flour with!

I woke up this morning in the cooking mood so I decided to try making some whole wheat pancakes. I used a recipe off of one of my ipod apps called sparks recipes and used it more as a guideline and make it my own using different ingredients I had on hand. Such as quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal, yogurt instead of applesauce, flax seed and water instead of eggs, and cocoanut milk instead of skim or regular. 

Living in a household of all boys, of course they're always wanting A LOT of food and A LOT of GOOD food. So I try to make improvements each and every time I make something to please everyone in the household by making my meals BOTH NUTRITIOUS AND DELICIOUS! 

 Ingrediants:
   11/4 Cup whole wheat flour
   1 Cup quinoa flakes or rolled oats
   1 Cup low fat organic vanilla yogurt (may sub unsweetened applesauce)
   2 T flax seed w/ 3 T water ( may sub two eggs or egg whites)
   4 tsp baking powder
   1 T Brown sugar 
   1/4 salt
   1/2 cup toasted walnuts
   1/2 chocolate chips


Directions:
    Add all dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in a bigger bowl. Leave chocolate chips and walnuts to the side. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little bit at a time and mix until everything is combined. Then add walnuts and chocolate chips. 

Put the griddle at low-medium heat. Butter lightly and add a spoonful of pancake mix and cook until sides start to bubble in the batter. And then flip and cook until you're preferred doneness... :) 



note: The batter seemed pretty thick to begin with so you can always add more milk or water until preferred consistency. 

  • My family LOVES eating a big amount of food and these pancakes turned out to be nice and thick and sweet from the chocolate chips. Top them with some of Justin's Organic peanut butter (or any really) and it's bank!  
   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment